Find your authentic voice and discover the power of your fifth chakra.
Located in the region of the neck and shoulders, the throat chakra represents accepting your originality and expressing your authentic voice. When balanced, the throat chakra allows you to be inspired and creative, and to speak your truth.
The throat chakra is motivated by expression and truth, it allows you to see the knowledge that is true, beyond the limitations of social conditioning. This chakra is responsible for communicating effectively and with conviction. When your fifth chakras energy is in harmony, you will stand up for what you believe in, be honest with yourself, and speak your truth.
As the center of communication and creativity, the throat chakra allows you to express who you are but also listen deeply to others. When your throat chakra is balanced, it gives you the ability to be inspired, projects your ideas, and align your vision with reality.
This is only a small example of the powerful message that is contained in GAIA Healing Step Five of Seven.
Key Characteristics of the Throat Chakra
- Expression – This chakra is your source of creativity and expression. It empowers you to be yourself and share it with the world.
- Truth – The throat chakra gives you the courage to speak your truth. It is also motivated by constantly seeking truth and sharing it with others.
- Integrity – This chakra is the source of your personal integrity. It allows you to be honest with yourself and to always stand up for what you believe in.
- Originality – Your fifth chakra is motivated by authenticity. It allows you to be inspired and creative, to share your ideas, and to always be authentic to yourself.
- Communication – The throat chakra is the center of communication. It allows you to effectively communicate your ideas and thoughts but also have the tools to listen deeply to others around you.
Throat Chakra Imbalance
The chakra system distributes the flow of prana or energy throughout your subtle body. Stress, illness, emotional upset, or conflict all can cause blockages or imbalance in your chakra system. All of the seven chakras are interconnected; when one chakra experiences a blockage or imbalance, it affects all the others. This disruption of energy can cause your mind, body, and spirit to suffer.
When the throat chakra is imbalanced, it can cause stress on your emotional and physical health. If you are working on personal development goals, staying true to yourself, or improving your communication and listening skills, it is important that you open and balance your throat chakra.
Underactive Throat Chakra – When a chakra is underactive, it means that the chakra is experiencing a blockage or is not distributing the flow of energy. When your Throat chakra is underactive, it can affect your overall well being.
When your throat chakra is blocked or underactive, it can contribute to feelings of insecurity, timidity, and introversion. When the throat chakra becomes blocked, it often detaches you from your authentic and true self.
Signs of an underactive throat chakra:
- Fear of Speaking Up
- Small Voice
Overactive Throat Chakra – When a chakra is overactive, it means that the chakra is distributing too much energy. It is working in overdrive and bringing imbalance to the chakra. When your throat chakra is overactive, it affects your overall well being.
If your throat chakra is overactive, you may be experiencing a lack of control over your speech, and talking too much or without a filter. When the throat chakra is overwhelmed with energy, it can lead you to become your own and others’ worst critic. You may experience struggles in your relationships because of the way you communicate.
Signs of an overactive throat chakra:
- Overly Critical
- Inability to Listen
How to Balance Your Throat Chakra
Chakra balancing is the process of restoring the harmonious and balanced flow of prana or energy throughout the body. Your chakras are in constant fluctuation. Practicing chakra balancing and aligning is a regular and sometimes daily activity to explore. But how do you balance your throat chakra?
Use Your Voice – As the center of your authentic voice, it is important that you practice using your voice to help restore balance to this chakra. Talking with close friends and family can be helpful. Make it a point to always speak openly and honestly with all that you say. Speaking in a heartfelt way can work wonders on your throat chakra.
Get Outside – One of the elements that the throat chakra is influenced by is ether. Ether is the clear sky, the upper regions of air beyond the clouds. Getting outside on clear and cloudless days can help bring balance to your throat chakra. Simply taking a walk or meditating outside on a clear day will help restore the harmonious flow of energy in your fifth chakra.
Physical Activity – Yoga is a paramount tool in bringing balance to your throat chakra. Yoga poses for the throat chakra should focus on opening the neck and shoulders and draw energy into the throat chakra.
Meditation – Meditation plays an important role in restoring balance to your chakras. Chakra meditation techniques are similar to traditional meditation techniques but focus on a specific area of the body. Below is a simple meditation technique to aid in balancing your throat chakra.
- Sit with your shoulders back and spine straight. Relax your muscles as you close your eyes and breathe deeply. Inhale through your nose and exhale through the mouth.
- Focus your attention on the location of your throat chakra: the center of the throat.
- Since the throat chakra is tied to the color of blue, imagine a blue glow at the center of your throat, slowly expanding throughout your neck and shoulders, making the whole area warm and relaxed. Rest in this sensation for 3-5 minutes.
- When you are ready, slowly open your eyes. You may follow with positive affirmations.
Affirmations – Positive affirmations are a great way to heal negative programming that can be embedded in your subtle body. When balancing your throat chakra, practice saying these phrases to yourself:
- I am open and honest in my communication
- I have a right to speak my truth
- I live an authentic life
- I nourish my creativity and self-expression
- I am able to state my needs clearly
- I am a compassionate and active listener
- I am able to find the words I need
- My voice is heard
- My truth is love
- My voice is good and important
Foods for a balanced throat chakra:
Blue foods (naturally blue, of course!) are recommended for balancing the throat chakra. Blueberries and blackberries, for example, are great for the throat chakra and are also good sources of vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. Many people also report good results with plums as well as tree-grown fruits such as pears and apples.
In addition, throat-soothing fluids such as coconut water and herbal tea with honey and/or lemon are time-tested remedies for the throat chakra.
Aromatherapy – Aromatherapy can be a powerful and simple tool to use while restoring balance to your throat chakra. Use essential oils that promote clarity and creativity.
Throat Chakra Essential Oil’s
Find your true and authentic voice with our Throat Chakra Blend. This blend combines the therapeutic benefits of essential oils with the energetic properties of the chakra’s complementary gemstone, lapis lazuli.
Throat Chakra Essential Oil Blend Elements
- Peppermint – Promotes insight to truth and dispels pride.
- Cypress – Promotes confidence in your voice and opinion.
- Roman Chamomile – Supports listening to others and calm and gentle speaking.
- Rosemary – Promotes mental clarity and helps transform your thoughts into words.
- Blue Tansy – Calms the mind. Promotes emotional stability, flexibility, and renewal.
How to use the Throat Chakra Blend
Our Throat Chakra Blend was expertly crafted to open and restore balance to your throat chakra. You may use this blend to help aid in your throat chakra realignment. Simply apply the Throat Chakra Blend to your throat and neck region.
Animal Symbol: White elephant
Animal Attributes: Purifies. Communicates. Imagines. Harmonizes. Strives to share and develop harmony. Seeks creative, imaginative ways to convey thoughts, feelings and ideas.
Chakra Animal Motto: “I Express.”